MANAGER, DONOR RELATIONS
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Irvine, CA
Report to: Director of Philanthropy and Donor Relations
Overview: Do you want to be part of the solution of fighting breast cancer on every front by using your intuitive relational skills? Do you adore connecting with people and actively seeking out ways to make their contributions more meaningful? Do you like a long-term challenge? Are you an activated self-starter who can’t wait to dive in head first and start making things happen?
Susan G. Komen Orange County is looking for a Manager of Donor Relations to join our Development team. This role requires resourcefulness and integrity while representing our organization’s mission and values in the community.
The Donor Relations Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive plan to maximize contributed income from individuals and design, implement and manage a “pipeline” mechanism for ongoing engagement and cultivation of new donors (both individual and corporate). Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy and interacting with the Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Donor Relations and Cultivation:
- Responsible for cultivating mid to low annual giving donors
- Design, implement and manage a donor point-of-entry, including bi-monthly tours of Komen Orange County for both individuals and corporate representatives
- Implement and manage a rigorous pipeline system of follow up and providing leads to Development and other colleagues as appropriate
- Oversee the Annual Breakfast event
- Lead planning committee and identify and manage Table Captains
- Responsible for all program and logistical efforts (with support from the team)
- Develop strategies to evaluate, improve and increase volunteer (Board and non-Board) activity and involvement in individual cultivation and appreciation of major donors.
- Manage and/or support the recognition efforts for current and former donors, both individual and corporate
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing/PR and Development colleagues to develop and implement strategic marketing and communication initiatives for prospects and donors: case statements, brochures, and donor prospectus; design and implement specific campaigns, write and/or edit proposals and reports for potential donors.
- Work with the Director of Philanthropy to create and activate a Major Gifts “society” with levels and benefits.
- Set up an ongoing series of private gatherings hosted by volunteers to educate and engage new donors
- Set up ongoing engagement opportunities using the Executive Director Power Hours to engage volunteers, donors and prospective donors
- Oversee the Office Manager in the role of processing gifts, in-kind gifts and initiate and prepare acknowledgment letters for signature
- Responsible for database queries and reports; works with the Office Manager on database maintenance and preparing reports, queries and mailing lists
- Conduct donor research and prepare prospect and donor materials
- Utilize database for researching prospective and current donors and entering contact reports. Work with Development team colleagues to generate special reports and updates to the database
- Utilize data and information to identify potential major donors – within, and outside of, known Affiliate donors including information about family foundations using search engine databases, including iWave.
- Prepare discovery outreach for prospective donors and make follow-up calls to schedule meetings with prospects for the Directors of Development and Philanthropy
- Coordinate with Development team colleagues to ensure prospect and pending solicitation activity is appropriately recorded in database
- Work with the Office Manager to coordinate and implement large solicitation mailings to prospects and donors
- Ensure compliance to administrative, financial, fundraising, and program policies and procedures particularly as relates to “restricted” gifts.
- Attend networking events on behalf of Komen Orange County, may require speaking publicly on the organization’s behalf
- Support the Development team with all Special Events as needed and assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be successful in this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, public relations or journalism, marketing or related field.
- A minimum of five years of successful fundraising, volunteer development, community organization, and staff management experience.
- Ability to collaborate with other organizations and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and solicit individual and corporate donors.
- Ability to analyze and integrate information from diverse sources in planning, making decisions, and finding solutions.
- Ability to multi-task, be well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to respond to changing environment and priorities in a focused and flexible manner.
- Positive and professional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to rally and organize staff, volunteers, and community members to achieve overall organizational goals.
- Effective work performance in a team environment and in self-directed situations.
- Superior communication and writing skills.
- Strong writing and report preparation skills.
- Experience and competency with fundraising software such as Raiser’s Edge or other relational database management software a plus.
Must at all times maintain the highest level of personal and professional integrity. A working knowledge of Susan G. Komen’s mission and programs is required, along with a professional-level understanding of solicitation methods and fundraising principles.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Robin Walker, Director of Philanthropy & Donor Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org and write, “Interested in the Manager, Donor Relations position” in the subject line of the email. Please no phone call inquiries.