We recognize this is a challenging and uncertain time for everyone–especially for those we love in our community who are battling serious illness.
We remain deeply committed to the health and safety of those we serve, our partners, donors, volunteers, and treasured advocates.
**Please make sure firstname.lastname@example.org is added as a trusted email to your address book to ensure email deliverability.
Check your spam folders for any upcoming communications from Komen OC!**
Our work does not stop in light of this new challenge—breast cancer is still impacting lives across our county and it is our duty to continue to serve and protect those in our community who are most vulnerable. Our team is working closely with community partners to build a plan for how we will continue to fund and provide necessary resources that help those in need fight breast cancer in this new climate.
THE KOMEN CALIFORNIA RESPONSE FUND
The damage from the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) extends to those battling breast cancer. We have already seen patients lose income and fear for their health and survival, with many unable to access the treatment and medical care they critically need. Our work has never been more important, but the impact of COVID-19 makes it critically urgent.
The Komen California Response Fund is a Susan G. Komen® statewide affiliate movement to raise funds to support breast cancer patients and survivors who have been impacted by the economic downturn caused by COVID-19. Funds will enable Komen affiliates across California to support their local Breast Health Communities by helping those they serve to overcome existing and new, crisis-related barriers to access support services and care.
Click here to donate to the Komen California Response Fund and help us help breast cancer patients today.
KOMEN OC’S SAFETY STEPS FOR MOVING AHEAD:
Last Updated 5/21/20
- In consideration of our staff and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Komen Orange County Irvine office will be closed until further notice. There are no suspected cases of COVID-19 at Komen Orange County, but our team will be working from home in an overabundance of caution. Our operating hours are Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm. Please allow time for our staff to return messages as they work remotely. You can always email email@example.com as a starting point and your message will be forwarded to the appropriate team member for support.
- All Komen OC office volunteers have been instructed to stay home until further notice. If you are interested in a virtual volunteer opportunity or have additional questions or concerns please contact Ali Menninger, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Irvine office has increased its supply of hand sanitizer, soap, and disinfectant wipes to continue staff and visitor adherence to recommended hygiene practices as outlined by the CDC. Visitors are encouraged to call-in when able via 714.957.9157.
- All Wig Salon appointments through the end of April have been canceled/postponed. Although we are not open on-site for in-person appointments, we are currently conducting phone consultations for wig services by mail. If you or someone you know is in need of this service, please contact please email Lauren Fix, email@example.com.
- We will continue to work closely with our community and corporate partners regarding upcoming special events and initiatives.
You, the Orange County community, are the heart and soul of this movement and we look forward to rallying with you in the persistent and unwavering fight against breast cancer. With your support, we will continue to bring invaluable breast health services and education programs to those in our community who need them most.
If you have any questions, please give us a call at 714.957.9157 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for your support and understanding during this time.
Take care of yourselves and one another. We will get through this together!
UPCOMING PROGRAMS AND VIRTUAL EVENTS:
Last Updated 5/11/20
In accordance with recent guidelines set by California Governor Gavin Newsom, Komen Orange County will not host any large events (50+ attendees)until further notice.
- Coffee Chat Wednesdays: Join us for our new Coffee Chat series hosted by survivors, thrivers, and advocates every Wednesday from 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Covering various current discussion topics. For call-in information, please e-mail email@example.com
- Weekly Guided Meditation on Instagram LIVE Series with @KomenOC
- Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2020
- Time: 12:00 PM – 12:20 PM (PDT)
- Facilitated by: Nicole Hoperich, New Workplace Wellness
- Meditation can help us to eliminate negative thoughts, worries, anxiety – all factors that can prevent us from feeling happy. It has been proven that the practice of meditation, carried out on a regular basis, will mitigate the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Follow @komenoc to be notified when sessions’ go live!
Komen OC Virtual Community Series: (on-going)
- Tuesday, May 26, 2020, at 11 AM- 12 PM: CalOptima Medi-Cal Covering Breast Health and Cancer Services: Tune in on Tuesday, May 26, 2020, at 11:00 AM (PDT) for an informative discussion with Betsy Chang Ha, RN, MS, LSSMBB, RYT, Executive Director, Population Health Management, CalOptima, and Megan Klink, CEO, Komen Orange County on member programs and services available for breast health and cancer patients during COVID-19. As a public agency, CalOptima was founded by the community as a County Organized Health System that offers health insurance programs for low-income children, adults, seniors, and people with disabilities. To learn more about our local breast health safety-net and resources visit https://www.caloptima.org/
- Thursday, June 4, 2020: Cafecito’s Hope Support Group: (on-going) Join the Cafecito’s Hope Spanish Support Group every other Thursday from 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm via Conference line to discuss coping strategies, up to date information and resources to vital breast health, mental health, and other financial support. Discussions facilitated by Sol Reyes-Roberts, Retired Nurse, and Breast Cancer Survivor.
Please contact Ambrocia Lopez, Director of Mission Programs at 714-957-9162, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for call-in information.If you have questions about any specific upcoming virtual events or meetings, give us a call at 714.957.9157 or email email@example.com.
- STAND UP FOR THE CURE: Originally scheduled for May 2 in Newport Beach, has been re-scheduled for November 7, 2020. More details to come.
BREAST HEALTH AND COVID-19 RESOURCES:
Last Updated 5/20/20
The Orange County COVID-19 Testing Network coordinates and expands testing across Orange County to create a safety net for anyone who is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms but is unable to receive testing through a health care provider. Testing sites include current and past Komen Community Partners : AltaMed and Nhan Hoa Clinics
Information about the testing network can be found at https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/covid-19-testing-and-screening or by calling the Orange County Health Care Agency’s Health Referral Line at 800-564-8448.
KOMEN NATIONAL HELP LINE:
“In this time of social distancing, doctors’ appointments may be delayed, and people may be isolated from their usual sources of support,” says Susan Brown, Komen HQ’s senior director of education and patient support. “We know this can create uncertainty and raises many questions. We are here for you, we care about you, we will support you. Komen provides resources online and through our toll-free helpline to help patients, their families and loved ones going through breast cancer so that no one feels alone in a time of need.”
If you or a loved one needs information about breast health or breast cancer, call our breast care helpline to speak with a trained specialist or oncology social worker at 1-877 GO KOMEN (1-877-465-6636) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.