The 2020 Komen Orange County MORE THAN PINK Walk is going Virtual
The 2020 Komen Orange County MORE THAN PINK Walk™ is going virtual this year on a new date Saturday, September 26, 2020. This year’s event may look different, but the moments that brought us together on event day can bring us together every day this fall. The decision was made to conduct our signature fundraising event virtually in the interest of protecting the health and safety of our participants, many of which are breast cancer survivors or those living with the disease.
The MORE THAN PINK Walk™ is a vital part of our fundraising efforts to support breast cancer research and patient support right here in Orange County, and we can’t meet all of our goals in the fight against breast cancer without the support and participation of our community.
The impact of COVID-19, including rising unemployment, quarantines, and an overburdened healthcare system are causing the perfect storm for breast cancer patients who have questions or need care. Funds raised through the Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk™ will address urgent needs in the local breast cancer community, including:
- Patient navigation to reduce systemic, programmatic and social barriers to breast care and services, resulting in improved outcomes for women in Orange County
- Financial assistance for cost of living expenses for those in active treatment
- Advocacy for transformative health policies and improved access to affordable, high-quality breast health and cancer care services
- Breast cancer screening for uninsured or underinsured women in need
- Virtual educational experiences facilitated by experts to provide critical, timely information related to breast health and COVID19 and addressing questions and concerns on how to cope with stress and anxiety
- Lifesaving research and clinical trials to discover new treatments
- Operational Support in partnership with local breast health organizations to help meet higher demands they are seeing during COVID-19 pandemic
In Orange County, five women are diagnosed with breast cancer and one woman will die from the disease every day. Funds raised at the Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk™ will benefit both local Orange County women, men and families, as well as national research. While there will be some big changes in how we ask participants to show their support this year, the goals remain the same.
Here are a few ways in which fundraising dollars help Komen OC:
Research – Provides new hope through lifesaving discoveries, funding breakthroughs that give more time to everyone in their fight against breast cancer.
Care – Ensures all have access to quality screening, diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer. Allows us to offer support, treatment assistance, even childcare and transportation services.
Community – Support everyone, no matter where they are in their breast cancer journey, by providing a safe place to share, grieve, support and find strength forward.
Action – Through advocacy, fighting for government funding and critical patient support and research. We fight for the rights of patients among policymakers and compassionate care for everyone.
The Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk™ will take place wherever you are! We encourage participants to walk in their own neighborhood, on a treadmill, in a beautiful park or on a nature hike. Walkers can take advantage of Komen’s National Mobile App to post and share their progress and participate in fun Komen’s curated virtual community experience leading up to Walk day.
MORE THAN PINK Walk
Saturday, September 26, 2020
Virtual Opening Ceremony start time: 9:00 AM
Register as an individual or a team and commit to making an impact today!
Upcoming Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk Celebrations
You can join us as we count down to Walk day at our virtual Kickoff event on July 21 from 5:30 pm to 6:15 pm! The event is free to register and open to everyone – all participants will be entered for a chance to win some great giveaways. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and subscribe to our YouTube Channel so you don’t miss upcoming events or announcements.
Thank you to our participants and those fundraising for the virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk™! We’re looking forward to celebrating with you online and through our virtual community.