CIRCLE OF PROMISE
Susan G. Komen® African American Breast Health Care Initiative
The Susan G. Komen Circle of Promise CA statewide initiative was created to address the breast healthcare disparities among African American women and empower African American women to be proactive about their breast health.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in this community. African American women’s mortality rates are 41 percent higher than their caucasian counterparts. The same research indicates that African American women are often diagnosed at later stages, sometimes with more aggressive forms of cancer and at younger ages. This alarming trend is the result of compounding social, cultural, financial and geographic barriers.
The Initiative Provides: Community Organization/ Direct Education/ Screening and Navigation Services
Special Thank You to All Churches & Organizations Who Participated in PRAISE IN PINK in October!
- A Place for Worship Church, Fullerton, CA
- Christ Our Redeemer AME Church, Irvine, CA
- Eastvale Bible Church, Eastvale, CA
- Friendship Baptist Church, Yorba Linda, CA
- Johnson Chapel AME Church, Santa Ana, CA
- Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, Los Angeles, CA
- New Destiny Purpose Church, Westminster, CA
- New Philadelphia AME Church, Long Beach, CA
- New Spirit Baptist Church, Santa Ana, CA
- Second Baptist Church, Lake Forest, CA
- Second Baptist Church, Santa Ana, CA
- Book Divas – Pilates in Pink Fitness Event, Fullerton, CA
- The Green Foundation (in collaboration with breast cancer reconstruction event) Santa Ana, CA
- The Links, Inc. – Harbor Area CA BCA Walk (Long Beach/ Compton)
- National Coalition 100 Black Women – OC Chapter Meeting- Irvine
- National Council of Negro Women – OC Section Meeting- Anaheim
If you or your organization would like to plan a Breast Health Awareness event, please contact LarLeslie McDaniel.
Join the Circle of Promise
Make the Pledge TODAY! If you will help us spread the word and be proactive about your breast health and raising awareness about breast cancer in the community, please CLICK HERE and simply say, “I AM TAKING THE PLEDGE.” Promise to engage at least 10 women in your circle. Make an impact. Early Detection SAVES LIVES!
- If you or someone you know in Orange County is uninsured or underinsured and in need of mammography screening and other resources, OR
- If you require additional information about the Circle of Promise, community outreach participation, and events, please contact:
Community Resource Advocate
Susan G. Komen® Orange County